Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Goat Mountain Gallop

The area around Goat Mountain, Oregon

Now I've done it...I signed myself up for the Goat Mountain Gallop. As a walker, of course, not a runner.

I was so inspired by Jen finishing her 5K run, and Alex training for a triathlon, and Annemarie running a half marathon that I decided to fill out the form and send it in. I keep saying I want to get more fit, so I might as well commit to it, right?

What is the Goat Mountain Gallop, you ask. It's a funky half-marathon out in rural Oregon - from Colton High School to Molalla High School, around and over an area known as Goat Mountain. The description on their brochure says that "It's hilly, by golly," and yup, it is. The brochure also claims that there is a net elevation loss, but you couldn't prove it by me.

I walked the Goat Mountain Gallop in 2008. Boy, was I a novice! Thirteen miles sounded like a hike to me, and I have lots of hiking experience...

I trained for the event by hiking in the Columbia River Gorge. On the day of the Gallop I wore my hiking boots. I had a fanny pack full of water and snacks along with me. I thought it would be like a hike! Ha ha!

So this time I'll wear my trail runners. No fanny pack. And I'll train by walking lots of our hilly (by golly) paths and sidewalks here in Oregon City.

In 2008 my goal was to finish the thirteen miles, and not come in last. I did it! I'll be happy if I can accomplish the same goal in 2010.

Anyone want to join me? I walked it mostly alone last time (I was slower than all my friends I signed up with), which was fine, but I'll bet it would be more fun with a buddy, by golly. :)

4 comments:

Dorothy said...

Oh, you're making me tired with that challenge invitation! I was sore for days the last time we did the Gallop, and I still feel bad about being one of those friends who was faster than you...

If I ever did it again, I would not want to RUSH quite so much.

Let me think about it.... :)

David Mayer said...

When is it Mom? I'm not in great shape these days, but it sounds like a lot of fun. Maybe I could be your walking buddy!

Katie Lewis said...

good luck mom!

Mike said...

I would love to do this, but I think I will have to wait for 2011...