Saturday, March 20, 2010

Another Literary Son-in-Law

I have a number of literary sons-in-law. Eric and Chris are widely read, and often encourage me to read books I might not otherwise pick up (especially Eric). (That's not to say that I actually do read the books, but they encourage me.)

Chris also likes to write stories in the gothic 19th-century tradition.

Mike writes more modern short stories; he and Julia met through a writers group posted on Craigslist. Mike also gives me suggestions on what to read.

My son David has written several chapters of his fantasy-adventure novels.

Now another son-in-law has joined the literary ranks. Welcome, Bryan! I should have known this was coming, as Bryan first captured Katie's heart with an illustrated story of how a monkey (Bryan) and a giraffe (Katie) fell in love. Now he has gone on to publish his first illustrated book, Nathaniel Gets Scurvy. This little charmer was written for one of his science classes at BYU. You can read more about the creation of the book on Bryan's blog, here and here.

What fun to connect, not only through their beautiful families, but also through books and writing.

2 comments:

Dorothy said...

Hmmmm...too many books to read and not enough time to go hiking if you're not careful. :)

Maybe you might want to post a list on your sidebar or something of some of the suggestions for a good read. I may want to try some of them myself!

Katie Lewis said...

Hey! Thanks for the nice post! I'm glad you liked the book. I'm glad to be part of the literary club now. Ha!

-Bryan (I'm too lazy to sign out and then sign back in...)