Thursday, February 11, 2010

On My Motorcycle



Woke up at 4:30 this morning, couldn't get back to sleep, the neighbor guy was making lots of noise, so Mark and I got out the motorcycle and went for an early morning ride. I'm not very good at driving a motorcycle, and there were lots of obstacles in the road. We certainly didn't get up any speed, but it was fun to be out in the morning air, noticing things, hearing the noise of the motor, wondering if we were waking other people up the way the neighbor had woken us. Twisty-turny road...lots of bumps with tree roots...sometimes we were going real slow because we were inside some building or another, going down huge curvy ramps...


Yup, you guessed it. A dream. Certainly not a recurring one for me--I haven't actually been on a motorcycle since I was a teenager! Of course I went straight to the Dream Dictionary to learn that "To see or ride a motorcycle in your dream, symbolizes your desire for freedom and need for adventure. You may be trying to escape from some situation or some other responsibility in your waking life. "


Ha ha - Mark and I were just talking last night about undertaking an adventure this summer. But not on a motorcycle. :)


Oh, and the dream ended with me looking at my watching and realizing that I had to be at work in 20 minutes. In my real life, I need to leave for work in just over an hour, so I'd better sign off and get ready for my day. Happy Thursday! Hope you have a beautiful day...with a little adventure...maybe some escape...have fun...

3 comments:

Dorothy said...

Oh, I could have guessed the meaning of that motorcycle ride without even going to the Dream Dictionary! I think we would ALL love a ride like that during the difficult times of our life! Glad you enjoyed the moment while it lasted! :)

Annemarie said...

Oh my goodness, I was sitting here reading your post with my jaw dropped in disbelief. "Mark and Kathy Haynie ride a motorcycle?" my brain kept repeating? Before you actually admitted it was a dream, I had honestly talked myself into believing it was true.

Kathy, one of the things I love most about you is the way you embrace new things. Okay, maybe not motorcycle riding, but doing a graduate degree in creative nonfiction, becoming a literacy coordinator, running on a track at 5am . . . you always tote yourself as a G-rated grandma, which you are, but you also have this spirit of adventure that I admire and hope to carry with me into all the seasons of my own life.

So if one day you confess to your blog readers that you and Mark have truly bought a motorcycle that you intend to ride together, it won't take me but a split second to nod and smile in approval.

Mike said...

I love to ride motorcycles. There is something so liberating about the wind in your face, seeing all around you and feeling the slight changes in the temperature while going down the road.

One of the most memorable rides is going over McKenzie Pass: http://www.oregon.com/byways/mckenzie
It's such a beautiful ride.

One fall, around late August, early September I rode from the west side to the east. Typically there are a lot of bicyclist and cars on the road, but on this day, the road was very clear. It's as if it was cleared off just for me. The turns are sharp and hilly on the pass, I enjoyed every minute.

No, it wasn't a dream, although I think about that ride from time to time.