Sunday, February 7, 2010

The 11th Commandment



The other day a friend reminded me that the 11th Commandment is...

"Thou Shalt Not Compare."

Ha ha! But it's true, isn't it? We all compare ourselves to others all the time and it's really never a good thing.

Sometimes we make the comparisons to assure ourselves that we're ok.  At least I'm not as _______ as that person. But then we're judging someone else, using a putdown to excuse ourselves from one weakness or another.

Probably more of the time we make comparisons because we wish we had what someone else has. If only I were as _______ as that person. And although we're not putting the other person down when we do this, now we're coveting what they have, instead of being grateful for the gifts and blessings in our own life.

My friend reminded me that God never compares us with one another. He only looks on our heart and loves us for the good/better person we are trying to be.

This is my prayer for today, that I will not compare.

3 comments:

ken said...

Nice thought. I appreciate it.

Carou said...

I've been hard on myself this past week. I needed to be reminded not to use such a big hammer on myself. I am loved. I am blessed. I am grateful for all I have.

JuliaKoponick said...

It is so very true. The Lord only compares us to ourselves and where we have come from.