Saturday, January 2, 2010

The Skinny

Yesterday I attended my two-year-old granddaughter's birthday party. Her mama made darling cupcakes (Holly is an expert cupcake artist--you can see some of her creations here and here and here), but when she offered a cupcake to one of the aunties, the auntie demurred saying, "It's New Years! Isn't everyone on a diet on New Years?"

Maybe so, maybe no. I've been dithering about the way my scale keeps creeping upward for a couple of months now. Even without the incentive of a New Year's Resolution, I've known that I need to change my ways.

When I checked in with my youngest daughter, Katie, the other day, she was singing the same song. We both love sweets. We both have mixed feelings about vegies. She's trying to lose baby fat after the birth of her darling 4-month-old daughter, and I'm fighting middle-aged spread.

I told her we should have a blog for just the two of us. "No, Mom," she replied, "we need to have a blog, but we need to let others read it, too." I hemmed and hawed just a little. "With pictures," she continued. "And a weekly weigh-in, like my friend Melissa, who is brave and funny and who has lost a whole bunch of weight by being accountable through her blog."

Ok, ok. So we launched our blog this week. Katie sucked it up and posted her photos first, on Tuesday. Now that it's Saturday, it's my turn. So go ahead! Check out The Skinny and tell us what you think!

And please, please post an encouraging comment or suggestion! Katie and I thrive on attention, so we're hoping that lots of our friends--ones we already know, and ones we will meet in blog-land--will give us lots of atta-girls as we commit ourselves to a wonderful, healthy 2010!

4 comments:

JuliaKoponick said...

Well, I will post comments on that blog too, but I wanted to tell you how glad I am that you and Katie are doing the blog, and that we get to be partners.

As a side-note, I also want you to know that I really appreciate all your comments on my blog. It is occasionally discouraging to only have you and Michael make comments, but it would be much more depressing to be blogging and never have any comments. I oftentimes wonder if anyone other than you or Michael reads it. lol

Anyway, I am very glad that you and Katie are brave enough to post pictures and ideas. I am not at the point were I am ready to make a "full commitment" like that, but I am definitely hoping to be healthier this year. :-)

Katie Lewis said...

I feel a little misrepresented. I was nowhere near that articulate.

JuliaKoponick said...

I am sure you were that articulate in your thoughts, and mom was just reading them. :-)

kati said...

I think it's wonderful that you and Katie are teaming up together! I will look forward to your weekly posts! You can absolutely do this! I am right with you guys and hope be a good 20lbs down and healthier this year.