Friday, January 1, 2010

See You Next Year

When I was a little kid, my mom would tuck me in on New Year's Eve and tell me, "See you next year!" I always thought that was pretty hilarious. I wish I'd thought to post that last night as my New Year's greeting to the blog world, but I was addressing my tardy Christmas cards (but they're done and ready to go in the mail!) I may be a little slow, but Happy New Year!

A few days ago, I read on Lauren's blog an invitation to consider what I liked best about 2009 and what I am looking forward to most in 2010.

2009 had a lot of ups and downs for my family. Mark was diagnosed with prostate cancer, and then he had successful surgery that completely removed the cancer. We had 5 beautiful new grandbabies join the family, one with some significant health issues (thank goodness she is developing normally in every way except her eating issues). We had a long-anticipated family reunion in July, but it was so hot and so soon after Mark's surgery that it was difficult to enjoy everyone. We had a daughter, son-in-law, and their 4 children move in with us in January, and it has been a crowded year with 9 people in the house, but we were also able to finalize the adoption of our newest adult daughter. Some blessings came in 2009 that I will treasure into the eternities; there were some challenges that I would just as soon forget.

No one has a life that is all good or all bad. The trick is to enjoy the journey. In the spirit of Lauren's question, here are my best of 2009 and my hopes for 2010.

My absolute favorite moment of 2009 was hiking in the Mt. Jefferson Wilderness with Mark. He was cancer free, and it was the first time in our marriage that he was actually enthusiastic about backpacking with me. (He usually goes backpacking with me because he loves me, not because he loves backpacking.) It was an incredibly beautiful place, a place apart. It was a wonderful, wonderful outing, one that I will treasure always.

I commented on Lauren's post that I am looking forward to getting more fit and healthy in 2010, and I am, but I have reflected a little more on my hopes for 2010 over the last couple of days. My very dear friend, Dorothy, titles her blog, "Come What May and Love It," from an address by Joseph B. Wirthlin. I think that is truly my best hope for 2010. To love what comes, no matter what it may be. And to lose a little weight and get more fit while I'm at it!

What is your best memory of 2009? What are your hopes for 2010? Please post a comment - I'd love to hear from you!

3 comments:

Dorothy said...

Ken just showed me your post. What a thoughtful question! We have discussed it and enjoyed skipping through our heads to remember the things that occured this year.

Now that our guests have gone, (only two hours ago) I will be returning to the blog world with highlights of my daily thoughts, and your questions may provide a lovely prompt.

Happy New Year!

Mike said...

I can only say that Maddy's birth is at the top of my list for 2009. What a wonderful gift Heavenly Father has given us.

I also have learned much about myself through some of the trials that we as a family have gone through. It has been hard, and some of it I would like to forget. But if we have learned something from the trail, it was worth it.

Annemarie said...

My best moment from 2009 was playing with Aaron and my kids at the beach in Oregon. Misty day, sunshine, audible waves, and the kids had this pure joy in their eyes and in their voices. It was magical. Second to that was crossing the finish line at the Seattle half marathon!

For 2010? I'm hoping for a house. My own house. It can be small and simple, but I'm so longing for a place to put down roots--to hang our family pictures on the walls and NEVER take them down. To finally unpack my boxes and stay put.

Happy New Year, Kathy!