Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Perfect Pan Gravy

Here is my no-fail gravy recipe. I'm bringing it to you from my 1973 Betty Crocker Cookbook, along with some comments on technique from me.


This is Pan Gravy, made from the natural drippings left in the roasting pan by roasts, turkey, etc.

For each cup gravy:
2 tablespoons drippings (fat and juices)
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup liquid (meat juices, broth, water)
(The recipe says that you can also use vegetable cooking water, consomme, tomato or vegetable juice. I have never tried using any of those things. If I don't have enough meat juice or broth, I just stretch it with water.)

Tip: The first thing you have to do is separate the drippings (fat) from the meat juice. I like to pour all the drippings/liquid into my clear Pyrex 4-cup measuring cup and let it sit for 3 or 4 minutes. That lets the fat float to the top. Then I skim off the fat, using a small ladle. I spoon it into my 1-cup clear Pyrex measuring cup.

Tip: Now figure out how much gravy you're going to make. Take a look at how much of the drippings (fat) you have and how much of the liquid you have. Do a little math in your head and decide if you're only going to make 1 cup of gravy, or if you're going to go for the gusto and make 2, 3, or even 4 cups!

Tip: If you need a little more fat to make your proportions come out right, you can substitute melted butter. Too little fat makes the gravy lumpy.

Return the measured drippings to your pan. Blend in flour. (Measure accurately so gravy is not greasy.) Cook over low heat, stirring until mixture is smooth and bubbly. (I like to use a whisk for this step.) Remove from heat. Stir in liquid. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute. If desired, add few drops bottled brown bouquet sauce. (That's what it says in the recipe. I've never used it.)

Season with salt and pepper. Yummy, yummy!!

No comments: