Wednesday, July 21, 2010

How to Celebrate Your 80th Birthday

My mother-in-law, LaVerne, turned 80 this week. We celebrated at a park near her home in Atascadero, California. The weather was hot - over 100 degrees! - but the shady oaks and a gentle breeze made it bearable. Here are a few photos of the fun.

LaVerne with her sons and daughters-in-law
Seated: LaVerne
Standing: Julie, Michel, Greg, Cheryl, Mark, me

Audrey, Angela, and Cheryl helped with decorating the birthday cake 
(the night before).

Audrey was a whiz at making fondant decorations.

Sam was engrossed in a game on his dad's iPhone.

Hillary selected yellow flowers--LaVerne's favorites--for the table decorations.

LaVerne with Hillary. 
LaVerne is wearing the handmade corsage, made by Hillary.

Bar-be-que crew: Michel Haynie, Ken Mallett, Mark Haynie

Aunt Alice with Uncle Greg. She is such a fun person! 
The camera caught her in an unusually reflective moment.

Josh, Hillary, and Ethan. 
It was so fun to see them - we haven't seen Ethan since he was 2 months old!

Audrey had to have some time with Tim's iPhone, too.

What a beautiful park - so typical of central California summers. 
I remember lots of picnics like this when I was a kid.

Cousin Dave Haynie, Tim & Audrey

LaVerne with her neighbor and dear friend, Bill (seated).
Bill's son, daughter-in-law, and grandsons are standing. 

Angela organized a wonderful book from the family for LaVerne.
The book had memories and photos from all of the family members.

LaVerne with some of her good friends.
They get together to play penuchle once a month.

Mark and I had some time to relax once the food was served.

Blowing out the candles! 
No, we didn't put 80 candles on the cake - the first ones would have melted 
by the time we got the last ones lit. 

Back at the house - inside with air conditioning!
Seated: Audrey, LaVerne, Angela with Joey
Behind the couch: Tim with Sam, Hillary, Josh with Ethan

3 comments:

Polly @ Pieces by Polly said...

Looks like fun!

Annemarie said...

Looks like a wonderful celebration. I hope I have my family around me when I turn 80!

Ange said...

well done with your photo opps, can I save some of your pics...its inspiring me to get blogging to more current events..thanks again for all your behind the scenes efforts..a lot of work, you're amazing