Monday, April 19, 2010

Oregon 150


Oregon celebrated 150 years of statehood on February 14, 2009. Of course there was a lot of hype leading up to that moment, but it can be useful to pause once in a while and reflect on where we have been and where we might be headed.

The celebrations had an official website: Oregon 150, and along with all the announcements of events, there was a neat link where Oregonians were invited to share their stories. I turned it into a classroom assignment, and although a fair number of my students grumbled, they were actually pretty pleased to see their stories published online.

I turned in a story, too. So did Katie. Fun to read--you can still find the stories on the Oregon 150 website, although they're not accepting new ones any more. Sad day.

Then someone got the bright idea of selecting 150 of the stories (hundreds were submitted...maybe thousands?) and publishing them in a book. One of my former students dropped by to say that her story had been selected! Then I heard that another story from a student at the high school would be included.

Then I heard that my story would be one of the 150 stories in the book! O frabjous day!

That was several months ago. Now the book is all ready to make it's debut. The book launch will be this Saturday, from 2:00-4:00 pm at the Oregon Historical Society. Contributors were given an opportunity to prepurchase copies at a discount. (Alas, no royalties...hahaha.)

But oh what fun - I've been asked to read my story at the event! Ahem...I will be reading at 2:30-ish. Like an author. Maybe with a microphone. And...how timely is this...the title of the piece is "Volcano Weather." (Which I hope calms down soon in Europe.)

Local friends, you're welcome to come to the book launch on Saturday afternoon, if you like!

5 comments:

Dorothy said...

I just re-read your story, and you know what? I could "hear" your voice and imagine you reading it out loud. I could even see your face and the expressions you might make.

I'll see if we can make it over there Saturday and find out how good my imagination is. :)

Congratulations!

liz said...

That is so neat! I love that your story and the stories of your students will be published together. That's such a cool assignment, too.I wish I was up there to hear you read it. Have fun!!

David Mayer said...

Congratulations Mom! I loved your story, and I'm excited that it was selected. I'm going to try and make it on Saturday if I can.

Annemarie said...

My friend Kathy, a published author? I just wish it was your very own book publishing party. One day? I'd be there--I'd come from across the country to attend something like that.

Oh, and I'll be with you in spirit on Saturday as you read your story, which is wonderful, by the way. I really enjoyed reading Katie's story too.

Polly @ Pieces by Polly said...

Congratulations, Mom! I talked to Katie yesterday and she mentioned that she would be going to hear you. Wish we could be there!