Thursday, April 5, 2012

New Camera!

Bad news: My camera died. Again. Take my word for it - do NOT buy a Nikon Coolpix. I have actually had two of them die on me in the last 18 months. When the first one died, we sent it back to Amazon.com and they refunded our money. We took the money and bought another one. Do not ask me why. Dumb. With both cameras, the gizmo that makes the lens go in and out when you turn the camera off and on stopped working. When the second Nikon Coolpix died, it was past the warranty.
Good news: Katie posted on her blog a while ago about her new camera, a Canon PowerShot. She loves it! And it only costs $79.00 on Amazon.com. My friend Dorothy has one of these cameras, too. (Most of Dorothy's photos are taken with a nicer camera, but she does use the PowerShot for autoshoot conditions.) Mark and I talked it over. I was using our very-old-crummy-camera and trying to be frugal and not care so much about the tacky photo quality. We are living on a reduced budget this year due to education budget cuts in Oregon. But for that price, we agreed it was worth it to have a nicer camera. So we ordered a Canon PowerShot from Amazon.

Best news: My new Canon PowerShot arrived last week, on the very morning we were leaving for Polly's house. I was able to use it to take all of the photos from last week's posts at Polly's house with darling Anson and his siblings.
 I love this camera. Even on simple "auto" I can get photos like these. Sorry--bad composition to have the chandelier in the background. But look how clear the lily is anyway!

 Closeup of the lily, still on "auto." The pistil in the foreground is a little fuzzy, but everything else is so sharp and clear. Love it.

There were some roses in the bouquet, too. Still on auto. Love the depth and shading of the petals. And you can even see the little drop of water on the leaf in the background (right side of photo).

I am so happy with my new camera!

4 comments:

Dorothy said...

Woo Hoo! A new toy to play with...and Cameras are so much fun. So sorry that you had such bad luck with the other two, but "third time's the charm", right?

Polly @ Pieces by Polly said...

When I first saw the title of this post and the first few lines, I thought your cute little new camera had died on you too...so glad to know that it's still working well. Beautiful pics :)

Katie Lewis said...

Glad you like it! I love mine too. :)

Unknown said...

All the pictures from the new camera have been great. I especially love the details on the Lilly.