Friday, December 31, 2010

The Quintessential Oregon Winter Day

First of all, Mark and I took the grandkids snowshoeing at Lolo Pass, on the slopes of Mount Hood.

Josh, Sarah, Kat

Making snow angels in the fresh powder.

Fixing the snowshoes again. This outing had lots of stops and starts.

Happy New Year!

Mt. Hood in the background. It was 22 degrees out with a wind and we were cold, so we turned back to the car after about an hour of playing in the snow.

Then we went to Powell's Bookstore so the kids could spend their Christmas book money.
Powell's is a Portland tradition, and an amazing book store. Four stories and an entire city block - the largest new-and-used bookstore in the world! The kids found their books and read them all the way home in the van with their mom.

Meanwhile, Mark and I ended up at REI, where Mark had ordered some beautiful slippers for me for Christmas.
I love them - they are warm and cozy, the nicest slippers I have ever owned. They're going to turn me into a homebody, I think.

It was a perfect Oregon winter day.

Happy New Year!

5 comments:

Dorothy said...

Happy New Year! Lovely pictures, but oh, it looks so cold. I remember the first time we went snowshoeing with you two and Ken accidentally shot an amazing video of you and Mark. Such good memories. :) Hanging out in Powells was probably a lot warmer and cozy, but lacking in the scenic views. Enjoy those wonderful slippers!

Bridget said...

I miss those winters! Including the stops at REI and Powell's. :)

Katie Lewis said...

Ah Powell's...

Mike said...

It sounds like you had a nice day, with it ending at REI. I miss Powell's too

Annemarie said...

Oh, I'd like a pair of those slippers too. AND a book from Powells! What a fun day. Back to school tomorrow, I suppose. Can't wait to tell you about the course I'm teaching for January term!