Sunday, October 24, 2010

My Favorite Son


I always told David he was my favorite son. Of course, he was my only son until I remarried and gained 2 awesome stepsons and then my daughters all married and I gained 6 fabulous sons-in-law.

Still, David has a special place in my heart, and I just want to commemorate that special moment, 27 years ago today, when I looked down at his tiny, slippery, brand-new body and said...

"It's a boy???"

In those pre-ultrasound days, I just assumed, after 3 wonderful daughters, that another sister was coming to join the family. Nope. It was a boy!!!

Boys are different, in their own wonderful way. David was my one and only chance to get that figured out, and he made sure to teach me how to raise a boy right from the very beginning.

Now he is a dad, and I love watching David with his son and daughter. He and Holly definitely share the parenting duties with their two adorable kids, and it's obvious that David loves it. It's a wonderful thing to watch your own baby take care of his babies.

So, to my once-upon-a-time favorite son: Happy Birthday! I love you and I am so proud of you.

2 comments:

Dorothy said...

Happy Birthday to David from us! :)

David Mayer said...

Thank you Mom, this was a very touching post. You are my favorite mom, and I love you!