Saturday, August 28, 2010

Bye, bye Summer...

We snuck in a last-minute getaway this weekend, before we go back to work on Monday. We were headed out to the coast for a ward beach party on Saturday anyway, so we just left a little early and made it into an overnighter on our way to the coast.

We found a sweet little walk-in campsite at Keenig Creek, on Highway 6 (on the way to Tillamook).


Just enough room for 2 tents (Julia came along with us). We cooked foil dinners over briquettes and made baked apples.


Here's Keenig Creek - some great swimming holes, shallow areas where kids could play, good fishing places. We want to come back again!


Loved these interesting rock formations along the creek - so fun to rock-hop and look for pollywogs.

Out at the beach this morning, we checked out the local tide pools.

We were at Cape Kiwanda, next to Pacific City. These are two of the fishing dories famous at Pacific City. They launch through the surf. These two had just come in on the beach, after their morning of fishing.

We had a good turnout at the ward picnic - nearly 80 people came! Yummy lunch. We didn't stay for the games - it was cold and windy, and we wanted to get back home to get ready for Sunday, and then we'll need to be ready for work on Monday morning.

Bye, bye, Summer!

7 comments:

Mike said...

I'm glad you guys got to get away one last time. I know how stressful that first few weeks of school can be and only hope that you stay sane through everything else is going on.

Miss you guys!

Dorothy said...

What a pretty place! We may have to check it out sometime, too. :) What a great turnout for your Ward activity!....sigh....I do miss family Wards...

Annemarie said...

Yep, the end of summer is upon is. It's funny b/c I just wrote my recent blog post entitled "First Days," reflecting on all the firsts ahead of us (Maya starts kindergarten in 11 days!) and you're saying goodbye to summer. Both goodbye and hello are part of this transition season, aren't they. What a blessed gift it is to be a teacher, don't you think. So glad you had one last fun summer adventure . . . I fully expect that it won't be your last of 2010, though. Hugs, friend.

Annemarie said...

By the way, my offer to READ for you extends into 2011 and beyond, just so you know . . .

Ange said...

I was excited to see pics of the beach since I have never been to the Oregon coast.. but not excited about the windy description. Love the new campsite and hope to explore it with you guys. Sending our love and look forward to seeing you soon! Question, how does it work to canoe in Lake Oswego?

Perils of Paulene said...

Kathy, I love the picture of the dories in the surf. You made it appear as an oil painting. Sometimes I wish I could make photos of the things I see on blogs. Thank you for sharing. Also, I loved your little essay on the apostrophe for Devils Rest. I prefer the no apostrophe form because perhaps there might be times when devils do rest. Thanks again.

Bridget said...

It looks like our summers are overlapping - we are looking forward to a trip to Cape Kiwanda next week. I LOVE that place.