Wednesday, June 9, 2010

100 Days - Take 2


Last year on June 11 I wrote about setting goals for the next 100 days.

I don't think I accomplished any of them. All of them were in the "nice to do" category, but I never made myself accountable for them.

On the other hand, I have had a more recent, and more successful, goal-setting experience:
It has been 129 days since January 1, 2010. In those 129 days, I have:
     1. Lost 15 pounds - about 3 pounds/month.
     2. Exercised 4x per week. Every week. Some weeks more.
     3. Trained for and completed a half-marathon (walking).
     4. Eaten (mostly) healthy meals.

Hooray!

I was able to accomplish those goals because I was accountable on The Skinny, the blog my daughter and I write to help us with our weight-loss goals.

Now that it's nearly the end of the school year, I'd like to make myself accountable here for some writing goals. I met with my PSU advisor today about the outline for my thesis, which for my nonfiction writing MFA degree, will be a 120-ish page book. I need to be writing on it all summer, so that I have drafts of over 1/2 of it ready to polish at the end of the summer.

I know from experience that to produce 120 pages of polished writing, I will need to initially produce 300-400 pages of drafts. This evening I wrote for almost 90 minutes, and I produced 4 pages of writing (1100 words).

So my goal is to write for 1 hour every day for 100 days. That's dedicated writing time: no internet, no phone calls, no meals, no errands or chores or other distractions. And I plan to be accountable: I'll post my weekly writing totals with a Sunday post here on "Finding My Way" each week. Because for me, accountability works.

I'll keep you posted! What are your plans for the next 100 days?

No comments: