Sunday, November 22, 2009

Thin shoulder blades beneath a white shirt


We had quite an assortment of deacons passing the sacrament in church today. I smiled to notice their diversity. Here was the lineup:

Navarro, 12.  He has milk-chocolate-brown skin and dark curly hair, and is a newly baptized member of the church.
Philip, 12. Because he has autism, he has to be shepherded by his father or another adult (today it was Mark).
Mike, 40-something. He is a big guy over six feet tall; my son-in-law, he was baptized about a year ago.
Michael, 34. Sometimes his Down's syndrome makes it difficult to understand his speech, but he faithfully passes the sacrament.
Jordan, 12, the ward's youngest deacon. His family has been less-active for years, but they have been coming more regularly now that Jordan is 12 and serving in the priesthood.
Max, 20-something. Also over 6 feet tall and skinny, and also also newly baptized, he is Maleena's boyfriend.

I was sitting on the stand with the choir, so I could watch the deacons as they made sure that each member of the congregation received the bits of bread and little cups of water. It was a normal Sunday. The deacons had their routes around the chapel to take care of, which they did without fanfare. They were reverent, and the chapel was quiet.

I noticed an interchange between two of the deacons just before they returned the trays to the front of the chapel. They were all lined up, except for Jordan. He approached the line, but instead of joining the other deacons, he exchanged trays with Max (who apparently still had some water on his tray; Jordan's must have been empty). Max, so tall, and Jordan, so young and new. Then Jordan turned and went with his new tray to the back of the chapel to finish serving the families on the back row. From my vantage point, I could see Jordan's thin shoulder blades beneath his white shirt as he managed the tray.

I was deeply touched by the service of this young boy. He was calm, doing what needed to be done so that everyone present could receive the sacrament emblems. It was a tender moment, a sacred moment: Christ's priesthood servants taking care of His business.

1 comment:

Dorothy said...

Thanks for "inviting" me to my home Ward Sacrament Meeting today Kathy. I almost feel like I was there. :)