Sunday, November 15, 2009

Foliage

From the etymology dictionary:

foliage Look up foliage at Dictionary.com

1598, from M.Fr. feuillage, from O.Fr. feuille "leaf" (see foil (n.)). The form altered by infl. of L. folium.

foil (n.) Look up foil at Dictionary.com

"thin sheet of metal," late 14c., from O.Fr. fueille "leaf," from L. folia "leaves," pl. (mistaken for fem. sing.) of folium "leaf" (see folio). The sense of "one who enhances another by contrast" (1580s) is from the practice of backing a gem with metal foil to make it shine better.


I like the idea that "foliage" is related to the idea of contrasts. And with that in mind, here are a few photos of the yellow maple leaves hiding in among the redwood branches at my house:









I hope you are having a peaceful, happy Autumn day.

3 comments:

Dorothy said...

Pretty! I'm enjoying the views of foliage in our back yard, too, but once they all hit the ground it sure is hard to keep up with!

Kathy Haynie said...

Your yellow tree photo on your blog inspired me to get the camera and go outside.

David Mayer said...

Wonderful pictures, Mom! It amazes me that that little tree can get enough sunlight to survive under the branches of the big redwood.

I wonder what the relationship between the two trees will be like when the little tree is no longer under the redwood's shadow.

(I know there must be some sort of story or analogy in that idea, but I'm too tired to think of it.)