Monday, June 18, 2012

Onion Farm

Does everyone else in the world already know this trick?

Katie taught me about this during her visit last week.

After you cut the tops off of green onions, put them in a cup of water on the windowsill. In a few days they will re-grow new tops.

I don't know how many times they will re-grow. (If you do know, please comment!) I used my first crop on our salad this evening. The tops you see here have been growing for about three days. I put fresh water in the cup today.

Nothing fancy...just a neat trick that gives a lovely bit of green and a way to reuse something that would otherwise be thrown away. Makes me smile.

I remember my mother growing avocado seeds on the window sill when I was a kid. I haven't seen that on anyone's windowsill in quite a while. You don't get any avocados--they grow on full-grown trees--but it makes a lovely leafy plant. (According to several websites I read in the last few minutes, it is actually possible to plant the avocado seed and get a tree that will produce fruit.)

What veggies do you grow on your windowsill?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Personally, I am not going to be using the green onion trick, but I agree it is neat!

I remember starting avocado pits, but I don't actually remember them turning into plants.

Anna said...

Wow. I did not know that trick. I am TOTALLY going to do it. I have wasted so many green onions in my life. Man, I have the best sister-in-laws! So full of useful wisdom! (And their mom's are bad either :)

Katie Lewis said...

Yeah, I don't know how many times you can re-use them. The roots on ours are already looking a little icky. But they've also been left to grow for far too long and then we neglected them completely all last week. Anyway, glad to see yours are growing nicely. :)