Sunday, May 2, 2010

Playing in the dirt

Welcome, May! Mark and I spent yesterday afternoon out playing in the dirt--time to plant the garden.

We covered the garden with black plastic all winter, hoping that would allow us to work the soil a little earlier this year.
Wait--why is the plastic bulging like that? I thought maybe Mark had stuck something under it, but no...

It was some eager-beaver potato volunteers How did they turn green under the black plastic? We decided to leave them in place, since they were that gung-ho to grow.

Our hopes about having the soil be easier to work were exceeded - it was wonderful! Loose and friable - all we had to do was rake the surface! We've added truckloads of manure for the last three years, and it has beautifully amended our clayey soil. Yay for the the horsie poop! We only had to dig out three dandelion plants, and we were ready to begin planting.


We bought a few plants already started (tomatoes, zucchini, lemon cucumber), and planted the rest as seeds (pole beans, lettuce, yellow squash, spaghetti squash, green onions, beets). Oh, and I scattered some wildflower seeds around the empty areas. They should look lovely and help keep down the weeds, but we'll see if I hate myself when they re-seed and keep coming back.


(Yes, I know we need to whack the grass around the garden perimeter. We'll get to it soon...)

What did you do to begin the month of May? I'd love to hear from you.

3 comments:

Dorothy said...

Oh, I think I'm jealous. Yes, I definitely am. I LOVE my new home, but I do miss the nice garden spot that was at the old homestead.

Now that we're back home...and it's MAY (does that mean warmer weather?) it's time to get a few tomato plants of my own in the ground. Yea!

Polly @ Pieces by Polly said...

This makes me want to plant a garden...but I'm so hoping it would be pointless if we get to move!

Annemarie said...

Hooray for gardens. I am jealous of the free time you have to play in your garden. I'm still looking for a house! It's always so special to sow seeds and wait for them to sprout and bloom. Something about the waiting that makes the flowers even more beautiful when they finally arrive. I hope you'll post some pictures of those wildflowers when they are in bloom!