Monday, May 26, 2014

Memorial Day, 2014

Planted the garden today. The soil was beautifully conditioned and ready for planting. I love our system of covering it for the winter. No weeds, no mud, and the soil isn't compacted by the rain.
Since the garden is out front, I love greeting our neighbors as I'm working in the garden. I think our vegetable garden makes perfect front yard landscaping for our 105-year-old farmhouse. Plus, we remember to keep it watered and weeded since it's out in front.

Mark and our next-door neighbor, Josh, also tackled the arbor vitae-blackberry-ivy mess hedge between our houses. It's still a work in progress, but it looks SO much better than it did before.
 My gardening/pruning philosophy: "If it can't stand my whacking, it didn't deserve to live in my yard anyway." I have no doubt that the arbor vitae, ivy, and blackberries will continue to thrive.


On Saturday our local families hosted us to a wonderful picnic to celebrate our 20th anniversary this month! So fun. Thanks to Polly, Eric, Kendra & grandkiddos for making the drive. Maleena and Cheryl organized the event. What a treat to be surrounded by family and dear friends.

Eleven of our 25 grandchildren were there!




Mom had her pacemaker replaced on Thursday. She's doing great.
Energizer Bunny is on her way!



 Mark and I are excited to spend a week in Hawaii (!!!) in June to celebrate 20 happy years. Can't wait!

Saturday was also closing night of the Oregon City High School production of To Kill a Mockingbird. Mark, Mom and I were included in the cast.  Lots more photos here.
Mark - jury foreman
Mom - town lady and observer at the trial
Me - Jean Louise (adult Scout, narrator)



No comments: