Sunday, October 23, 2011

Sewing Project

I recently agreed to make a wedding dress for Julia's sister-in-law, Michelle. I told her I could do it if the dress of her dreams was fairly simple. She said "keep it simple" was her goal, so we headed out to look at patterns.

She chose this one: Butterick B5419
She wanted it with the long skirt and the boat-neck top (bottom right) with the sleeves (upper right). Michelle came over on Saturday for the final measuring/fitting. I had learned from many experiences making prom dresses for my daughters over the years, that it is often best to make a practice bodice, to check the fit. I don't bother with sleeves or zipper, but it gives me a chance to make sure everything is working the way we want it to before we cut into the "real" fabric. We tried on the practice bodice (bright blue...not her wedding colors!) first, and it was a perfect fit. On to the real sewing!

I had spent 4 or 5 hours working on the skirt during the week before. After 10 hours of sewing on Saturday, the top is finished, too! I'll post a picture of the bride after her wedding on November 8.



4 comments:

Sarah said...

Wow! I'm very excited to see your beautiful creation! I'm too scared to work on adult clothes for someone else let alone a wedding dress! How fun!

Craft said...

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [25 Oct 02:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

Dorothy said...

Wow, Kathy, that's quite a project you've taken on, but what a wonderful thing to do for someone else. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Craft said...

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [26 Oct 02:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria