Thursday, September 29, 2011

Temple Softie

Last night Arora and I made a temple softie, based on the instructions we found here. Check out the link for the darling and simple concept we were working from.

First Arora made the pattern.

I taught her how to hold the iron carefully so the fabric would be nice and flat.

 We stacked up the layers and traced around the pattern.

 Arora helped me with the sewing (which took all of about 5 minutes...this project really is super simple).

 Turning it right side out...at this point Arora thought the whole thing looked like a rabbit.

 I made the daddy doll first, and Arora stuffed him while I made the mommy doll.

With every stuff of fluff, she asked me, "Is that enough?" "No, not yet. Put in some more stuffing, Arora..."

And here's our finished temple with the two dollies in their pocket. The mommy doll's dress is made from a scrap of satin from my first wedding dress, which I made for myself in 1974.

Such a sweet little project. It's soft and friendly, and it reinforces our family's beliefs about the sacredness of families, and why we want them to last forever. Arora very seriously explained to her dad that the mom and dad have to be married in the temple, because that's where they are supposed to get married. She told her dad that she wants to go to the temple to get married someday, too.

And speaking of beliefs...I am SO looking forward to the worldwide General Conference of the Church, coming up this weekend. Conference weekend is such a sweet time to take a break from the world and soak up two days of inspiring messages that uplift me and help me be stronger for the next six months...until Conference weekend comes around again. If you'd like to join me for beautiful music and deeply meaningful messages that will speak to your heart, you can find the link here on Saturday and Sunday. There are four sessions, two hours each, beginning at 9:00 am and 1:00 pm Pacific time each day.

5 comments:

Jocelyn Christensen said...

Oh, awesome job! It was so fun to see her little hands doing the work herself...and both of you together! Wonderful post!

Polly @ Pieces by Polly said...

Cute idea...and I love Arora's outfit.

Dorothy said...

Oh, so sweet. Way to go, Grandma!

Katie Lewis said...

Cute, Mom! I don't know how I missed this post before. I just saw it.

Sarah said...

That is so sweet! Cute idea!